In case you missed it, here are the top five new stories from StateImpact Texas published last week:
- How Green is Your Christmas Tree? The Real vs. Plastic Debate: It’s an argument you’ve probably had at holiday parties over eggnog and tea cookies. Which type of Christmas tree is better for the environment, real or plastic?
- Your Burger’s About to Cost More Thanks to the Texas Drought: Beef has reached record prices and is projected to rise even higher, thanks to a drought that has decimated herds, increased the cost of feed and driven up demand.
- Researchers at Odds with Texas Government Over the Rise of the Gulf: To some researchers, what’s happening to the sea level is a clear and present danger. But they worry the word is not getting out, and that the State of Texas is diluting it.
- Tiny Algae Could be a Big Source of Power: How these small organisms could one day bring major energy benefits to the world.
- The Year in Texas Weather (Yes, it was Awful): Drought, wildfires, record heat — we look back at what could be the worst year ever of extreme weather in Texas.