A Three Mile Island Primer
The Three Mile Island nuclear crisis began 33 years ago today. Since that’s not a round number, the anniversary hasn’t gotten much attention.
But if you’re looking for more information on Pennsylvania – and America’s – worst nuclear crisis, look no further. Here are five comprehensive reports about what happened at the Dauphin County nuclear reactor on March 28, 1979.
- On the accident’s thirtieth anniversary, the New York Times took a look at how the Three Mile Island disaster reshaped America’s nuclear power industry.
- The Washington Post published an exhaustive 14-part special report on Three Mile Island in 1979.
- A 1999 PBS Documentary focused on the Three Mile Island accident. You can read a transcript here, and watch the first part of the American Experience program below:
- Shortly after last year’s Fukushima Daiichi meltdown, NPR compared and contrasted the world’s three most prominent nuclear disasters: Fukushima, Chernobyl and Three Mile Island.
- Weekend Edition provided detailed coverage of Three Mile Island’s legacy on the accident’s 30th anniversary.