Florida Teachers Will Attend Summer Camp For Common Core Standards
Florida teachers and school administrators will get help this summer understanding how to implement Common Core State Standards.
The new standards are designed to make sure high school graduates are adequately prepared for college or the workforce.
The standards are based on international benchmarks at each grade level. Common Core assessments will be given at least twice a year, and students must be able to explain their answers.
But teachers are still trying to figure out how to teach the standards.
A poll released last week by the American Federation of Teachers finds that three-quarters of public school teachers surveyed support CCSS. But only about a quarter say their districts have given them the resources and tools they need to successfully teach the standards.
As a result, AFT is pushing for a moratorium on Common Core assessments until educators are better “trained and equipped to help their students master this new approach to teaching and learning.”
The Florida Department of Education is trying to help.
DOE is offering a series of CCSS Summer Institutes around the state. The training is recommended for:
- School principals and assistant principals
- Teachers and coaches of English language arts/reading, math, science, social studies, career and technical education, Exceptional Student Education, and English Speakers of Other Language.
- Superintendents and curriculum directors
- Content area specialists, professional development directors, and human resources directors.
Each district is allowed one team of up to eight people. Individual schools can also register teams of up to eight people.
Seven institutes are scheduled:
- June 18-19 – Gulf Breeze High School, Santa Rosa
- June 25-26 – Boca Ciega High School, Pinellas
- June 27-28 – Boca Ciega High School, Pinellas
- July 16-17 – Santaluces High School, Palm Beach
- July 18-19 – Santaluces High School Palm Beach
- July 23-24 – Atlantic Coast High School, Duval
- July 25-26 – First Coast High School, Duval