The Idaho Department of Labor has awarded 260 workforce development training grants since the program’s inception in 1996. Some of those contracts went to the same companies.
Grants for training workers range from a few thousand dollars to a few million dollars.
- 205 businesses have received workforce training grants since 1996
- The planned number of new employees totals 26,000
- The average training cost per employee is $2,400
- The average wage of those employees is $13.06 per hour
- Businesses have been reimbursed for $32,155,802 since 1996
- Grants are paid for by a portion of business unemployment insurance taxes
Source: Idaho Department of Labor
Jenny Hemly is the program’s contract manager. She says as long as businesses meet the program’s qualifications, they can receive an unlimited number of the grants.
Hemly says 18 contracts for workforce development training grants were written last year. So far this year, she says 10 have been drawn up.
The program has recently been expanded to allow companies that aren’t growing their workforce to receive training reimbursements.