Our own Chris Amico describes data apps as “[tools] for both the public and reporters that enables open-ended exploration of an on-going news story or issue.” – Chris Amico
Matt Stiles explains data best practices, apps of the future, and how you can request your very own custom built data app in our latest data webinar:
News App Basics:
How will we decide what to build?
- News: Is there a story?
- Network: Will other stations benefit?
- ROI: Will people use it?
- Station plan: vision, goals and specs.
- Guide: Early consultation with NPR about ideas, calendar. Station writes “story” about app and basic specs.
- Package: What stories, document might accompany apps?
- Promotion: How will we make sure people see the work?
- Clarity: Same as a text story. Be careful not to mislead, overwhelm, confuse readers.
- Ethics: Micro vs. aggregated. Is it fair to name individuals, organizations in data without their comment?
- “News” vs. Transparency: What’s our mission? Not data for data’s sake.