NPR.org weekend web editor Melisa Goh explains how to convert radio scripts for web and passes on some other helpful web writing tips.
Writing for the Web:
- Text is king on the Web.
- Your goal for everything you write on the Web is to get the user to stick around.
- Your Web text needs to hook people in early and get them to keep reading.
Melisa Goh’s Ten tips for writing web text:
- Think about how to tell the web story before you start reporting.
- Report for the web while you’re reporting for broadcast.
- Keep your writing tight and compelling.
- Think visually: what parts of the story can you tell with images?
- Use nut graf.
- Manage your quotes and transitions.
- Always attribute.
- Watch your spelling, style and grammar.
- Consider how the user will get to your story.
- After your story posts, promote it.