Lieskovszky received first place awards for both K-12 and higher education reporting in the 2013 Ohio’s Best Journalism 2013 Awards. The contest is presented collaboratively by the SPJ’s Cincinnati, Columbus and Cleveland chapters.
Lieskovszky also received two second place SPJ awards for enterprise and feature reporting for her coverage of student homelessness in Ohio.
She is now a producer with WCPN’s public affairs talk show, “The Sound of Ideas.”
StateImpact’s joint reporting with The Columbus Dispatch on the use of seclusion rooms in Ohio schools received a first place SPJ award for investigative reporting.
StateImpact reporter Molly Bloom’s story on how a student impersonated a teacher at an online school for more than a year received a second place award for online news.
The SPJ contest also recognized the work of colleagues at WCPN and other Ohio public radio stations, including:
- WKSU Radio 15 awards; 8 first place awards and 7 second place awards
- Ideastream-WCPN: 7 awards; Best of Show first place award: best public affairs program
- WOSU Radio: 7 awards; 2 Best of Show first place awards: best news operation-Michael Thompson, and best editor-Sam Hendren
- WVXU Radio: 7 awards; 2 Best of Show first place awards: best anchor-Maryanne Zeleznik, and best newscast-Jim Nolan
- Ohio Public Radio Statehouse News Bureau: 2 awards; Best of Show first place award: best reporter in Ohio-Karen Kasler